Corrections and Expanded details
refer to listings published in
Around Kaohsiung. A Community Guide.
refer to contributions offered since publication
for a specific topic/article/link
Dates indicate when items were added to this page
|AMERICAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE 1/99||AMERICAN INSTITUTE IN TAIWAN (AIT) 10/99|
|THE AMERICAN CENTER 12/99|
The American Institute in Taiwan is a non-profit private corporation established shortly after the United States Government changed its diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979. The Kaohsiung Branch provides assist to U.S. citizens, sponsors trade promotion and cultural events, and offers commercial assistance to U.S. enterprise.
- provides services to the U.S. business community to help increase exports to Taiwan
-maintains a reference library
-helps to organize trade shows with U.S. firms and key southern Taiwan corporations and organizations.
Travel Service Section
- provides notary services (for fee payment)
- passport applications and visa applications (in some instances)
- administers or takes oaths, affirmations, affidavits and depositions
- functions as the provisional conservator of personal estates
- endeavors to aid U.S. citizens in distress
- issues official records of death, birth and marriage for U.S. citizens
- acts as a conduit for general information from some U.S. governmental agencies (i.e., I.R.S. and Social Security)
- manages a Citizen Registry and Warden System
US Citizen Registration
If an individual wishes notification from AIT-KHH
Branch but is not on a Warden List or is not associated with a larger organization,
it is recommended that he/she make desires known. Social groups and
community organizations are also encouraged to identify an individual who
can serve as a Warden.
The “Center” is an academic
resource center for the study of America from Taiwan perspectives.
located on campus in a friendly environment ideal for computerized research and information sharing.
Plus, reference materials for those planning to study in the states are available.
It’s a “people place where technology and humanity meet”.